This high production garden not only serves the students of Port Townsend High School, but the PT Food Bank during the summer months. Garden Coordinator Zach Gayne works with teacher Jennifer Kruse to help students get the most from the plot. The garden has been feeding students and donating food to the Food Bank since 2012 using this space and one at the Mountain View site.
GARDENS Garden Coordinator: Contact: Zach Gayne at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zach Gayne works with Health and Culinary Arts teacher, Jennifer Kruse to help students get the most from their plot.
- Maintained by 9th grade Health students who are in the garden every Friday during the growing season.
- Compost Piles (adding food waste from the school)
- Worm Bins
- Cover Cropping
- Crop Rotation
- Tool Repair
- Plant Germination
- Seed Production
- Expanding the Herb Garden
- Vegetables - lots of cold crops such as radishes or lettuce
- Food goes to the Food Banks as well as the school
- School Food Services Director: Stacey Larsen (office in Salish Coast School)
- Salad bars
- Food for Lunch program
- Culinary Arts Classes under Jennifer Kruse
Funding and Support: Would you like to help? The plot needs someone to keep it viable throughout the summer season when the school isn't open--weeding, watering, transplanting, harvesting... Fridays from 10-2. Or if you can donate mulch, tools, etc. or funding, please contact email@example.com Or let us know here. https://jccwp.org/take-action
FOOD BANK FARMS and GARDEN
- Size: 10,000 sq. ft.
- Gardening Style: Raised beds, hoop house, rows, full prep area outside of garden, pollinator garden, irrigated.
- Growing: Veggies, raspberries, fruit, lettuce, winter and summer vegetables
- Serving: Port Townsend Public Schools with surplus to Port Townsend Food Bank, (Distributed Wednesday and Saturday)
- Supporters: Port Townsend Schools, Hermann brothers, WSU Jefferson County Extension Master Gardeners.
- Need: Volunteers in summer to harvest, prep, deliver food
- Contact: Zach Gayne - firstname.lastname@example.org
1610 Blaine St. Port Townsend, Wa (Drive down the dirt road to get to the garden that is behind the Gael Stuart Bldg.)