This monument by sculptor Francis William Doyle consists of a bronze female figure with outspread wings standing on a globe and holding out a wreath with both hands. A symbol of Peace Crowning the Heroes, she is dressed in an elaborate, windswept chiton, the lower part of which flutters energetically behind; only her feet and shoulders are exposed. The pink granite cenotaph is designed as a tall, slender obelisk with projecting side piers and a pulvinated roll on the upper stage and with a sword entwined with a wreath carved on the topmost block on the front east face. The wreath is identical to the one held by the figure. The Whiteinch memorial was requested by James Arthur, secretary of the Partick Joint wards War Memorial Committee, who in 1921 sought permission from the City ouncil to erect a memorial in Victoria Park. The site adjacent to the model yachting lake was chosen which allows for uninterrupted views of the principal face of the emorial from the edge of the park.