Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Chance Brothers Lighthouse Chance Brothers Lighthouse
  • Date of lens manufacture

    1907

  • Date of lighthouse construction

    1853

  • Country

    Ireland

  • Commissioning body

    Trinity House

  • Order of lens

    1st order

  • Fixed or revolving lens

    Revolving

  • Active/Inactive
    ---
  • Describe the character of light

    Gp Fl(2) W 10s

  • Describe the lighthouses daymarks

    a group of 2 white flashes repeated every 10 seconds

  • Which aspects of the lighthouse (other than the lens) were manufactured by Chance brothers

    none

  • Describe the history of the lighthouse

    From Wikipedia: long history of the point being used as a beacon for warning or navigation. The point was protected by a 13th century castle that was built and owned for a while by my ancestor Milo de Courcy.

    The 1907 tower was the final tower of a long history going back to 17th century. The lighthouse is famous being the closest in proximity to the sinking of the Lusitania in WW1 (2015). In 1972 the paraffin lamp was replaced by electricity and the range increased to 25 nautical miles (46 km; 29 mi). Between 1974 and 1992 a radio beacon was transmitted. In 1987 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation. In 2005 the range was reduced to 20 nautical miles (37 km; 23 mi).

    In January 2009 an AIS station was established. In 1989 the developers, the Kerry-born O'Connor brothers, John and Patrick, bought the 216-acre promontory for £212,500 after it had been on the market for several years. A Golf course opened for play in 1997, laid out on the narrow headland, jutting out for two miles into the Atlantic Ocean. The course and facilities take up to 180 acres leaving the remaining 40 acres of cliffs to frame the course. In 2001 it was converted to a private golf and athletic club, by Donald Kenney, a central Ohio (USA) developer.

    In 2010, the initiation fee for international memberships at the club was $73,000, with annual dues of $3,600. Nonmember greens fees started at $430. The course's 15 guest suites start at $510 per night. In other words, inaccessible to all but the richest people. At this point (2001), access to the lighthouse and its surrounds by the public ceased. The Head of Kinsale lies at the end of the Wild Atlantic Way, but the end of the journey cannot be reached (see picture of the map)

  • Current management body/ ports authority

    Private golf course and club, inaccesible

  • Historical preservation societies/manager/operator

    not researched BUT from Wikipedia: "long-running campaign for the restoration of public access organised by the "Free the Old Head of Kinsale" campaign. This has mainly taken the format of "people's picnics", some of them involving "incursions" onto the headland and holding the picnics at the Old Head lighthouse"

  • Is the site vulnerable to coastal erosion?
    no
  • Have you experienced any affects of climate change on the lighthouse?

    unknown

  • Observations on the condition of the lighthouse?

    not observed in person

  • Is the site open/closed to the public

    Closed

  • Is the tower open/closed to the public

    Closed

  • Latitude and Longitude
    ---
  • On-site bookable accommodation available
    yes
  • Associated web addresses
  • Other details

    It's bookable but unaffordable.

    ARLHS IRE-055; CIL-0200; Admiralty A5710; NGA 6340.

  • Which resources did you use to research this lighthouses?
    ---

In the 1800s, Chance Brothers & Co glassworks in Smethwick began making the hi-tech lenses that lighthouses use to warn ships of dangerous locations. By 1951, over 2,500 lighthouses around the world were fitted with a Chance lens.

Where?


[16, 6, 1, 6]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[10, 6]
[10, 10]
[10, 20]
[10, 30]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]