Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Chance Brothers Lighthouse Chance Brothers Lighthouse
  • Date of lens manufacture

    ? Possibly 1901

  • Date of lighthouse construction

    1910

  • Country

    Australia

  • Commissioning body

    Department of Harbour and Light, Western Australia

  • Order of lens

    4th order

  • Fixed or revolving lens

    Fixed

  • Active/Inactive

    Active

  • Describe the character of light

    Fl. W. 10 secs

  • Describe the lighthouses daymarks

    Current tower -- stainless steel skeletal tower with white fibreglass lantern

  • Which aspects of the lighthouse (other than the lens) were manufactured by Chance brothers

    Possibly lantern and other equipment.

  • Describe the history of the lighthouse

    The first tower on Gantheaume Point, Broome, was a tripod made of railway line. It showed a fixed white light. Little is known about it, but the plans in the National Archives of Australia show that it seemed to have a lantern like you would have seen on a buoy at that time. It was lit on 15 July 1905 in response to demand from the pearling fleet and other mariners in the area.

    A second tower was lit in 1910 to replace the first light which was inadequate. This tower was a steel skeletal tower with a service room below a lantern which appears to be a Chance lantern. It looks identical to the lanterns on the North and South Mole lighthouses in Fremantle. It is possible that it used the lens from the North Mole lighthouse. The Gantheaume light was fourth order, as was the North Mole lens which was shown to be too powerful for its location and not used. Details about this tower are also sketchy.

    The second tower was automated in October 1917. Gantheaume Point was a one-man station and there was a generous keepers cottage nearby. The cottage was rented out after automation and eventually sold. By the early 1950s it had been mostly demolished. Today, only the fireplace and chimney remain.

    The second tower was replaced in the early 1960s with a steel lattice tower, new lantern and modern light.

    The third tower was replaced in 1984 with a stainless steel tower, fibreglass lantern and electric light.

    The fate of the original (second) lantern and lens is unknown.

  • Current management body/ ports authority

    Australian Maritime Safety Authority

  • Historical preservation societies/manager/operator
    ---
  • Have you experienced any affects of climate change on the lighthouse?
    ---
  • Observations on the condition of the lighthouse?
    ---
  • Is the site open/closed to the public

    Open

  • Is the tower open/closed to the public

    Closed

  • Latitude and Longitude

    17° 58.449' S 122° 10.647' E

  • On-site bookable accommodation available
    no
  • Associated web addresses
  • Other details
    ---
  • Which resources did you use to research this lighthouses?

    Historic newspapers, government gazettes, other online sources.

Former Chance Lens Since Replaced/Removed Former Chance Lens Since Replaced/Removed
  • Date of decommissioning or removal of Chance lens

    1962?

  • Which lens(es) replaced the Chance lens ?

    Modern light


In the 1800s, Chance Brothers & Co glassworks in Smethwick began making the hi-tech lenses that lighthouses use to warn ships of dangerous locations. By 1951, over 2,500 lighthouses around the world were fitted with a Chance lens.

Where?


[16, 6, 1, 6]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[10, 6]
[10, 10]
[10, 20]
[10, 30]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]